Meet Burlesque Performer Voluptuous Vixen
Meet Burlesque Performer Voluptuous Vixen
1. What’s your real name?
2. What is your stage name?
3. How did you come up with your stage name?
Vixen means a spirited or fierce woman and I loved that. Voluptuous is a term for curvaceous and sexually attractive. I’ve always been insecure about my hips and curves but when I went to show a dance routine one of the girls first thing was like “those hips” and I figured why not take what I’m insecure about and use it as a way to empower myself, feel confident and sexy and learn to love them because this is the only body I’ll get!
4. What style of burlesque do you perform?
It will be mostly dancing for sure in my immediate future but who knows what else I could decide to experiment with.
5. How long have you been a burlesque performer?
I’m a newbie. Still have that fresh meat scent I’m sure.
6. Are you actively performing now?
Yes, very fresh!
7. What makes you want to perform?
I’ve always been attracted to the burlesque and stripping scene. There is something about it that has always been so fascinating to me but as a Catholic there was always this taboo, shame and sin behind it. Through my journey I have come to accept and pursue all my fascinations. I am very much drawn to the sex appeal, the confidence, and comfortability it takes for someone to be so open and empowered with themselves in mind body and spirit and share themselves in such an open and creative way surrounded by other women to hype and support you. There is not a right or wrong way to be a woman, a mother, sexy, classy or creative. We are whatever we want to be. After leaving my long term abusive relationship I developed this attitude of why not and decided to do and try all the things I want to because life is too short to deny yourself experiences, to feel ashamed in your own body and who you are.
8. Do you do a solo or group act?
I will be doing both.
9. What is your favorite costume or thing to wear on stage?
I love fishnets and lingerie. I have different attitudes and moods but I am definitely more confident, sexy and comfortable barefoot or in high tops with lingerie and anything fishnets. Dark and sexy is my vibe. I’m definitely not a heel girl. I love to model in them but anything past that becomes a safety concern.
10. Do you make your own costumes?
I plan on making some. See where the creativity takes me.
11. Do you have a special self care or beauty product you can’t live without?
The steam room, hot candle lit bubble baths are my mandatory self cares. I don’t think I could function throughout the days without a jail sentence if I didn’t do these on a regular basis.
12. What fascinates you about the art of burlesque?
The creativity for sure but Mostly the variety it presents women with to own their bodies and be sexy and confident without judgment
13. How did you find out about burlesque?
I’ve always known about burlesque in Laramie. Have gone to the shows for years
14. What are your top 3 go-to burlesque songs?
For me personally, Dope Show by Marilyn Manson, Buttons by the Pussycat Dolls and Violate by Cognito.
15. What do you do to mentally prepare to perform?
Haven’t fully figured that out yet but it seems to be anything that makes me feel at my best. Pedicure, steam room, waxing, and the perfect combo of exercise, stretching and doing absolutely nothing but relaxing.
16. What is the most challenging thing about performing?
So far it just seems to be rehearsing because where and how you rehearse isn’t always aligned with the performance location. The stage measurements, schedules with people and feeling confident in your abilities.
17. What is the weirdest experience you’ve had at a show?
Time shall only tell.
18. Who is your favorite burlesque performer?
I’ve only really ever remembered Dita Von Teese
19. Do you have any regrets about being a burlesque performer?
Not so far
20. What do you wish people knew about burlesque?
The amount of effort it takes. The skill and empowerment behind it
21. What is your favorite thing about being a burlesque performer?
So far being able to express myself in ways that were always so judged before. Meeting other women, mothers that have a similar mind set and view on what we are doing to be able to express freely and confidently knowing it will be safe and supported.
22. What advice do you have for someone who wants to try it but is too nervous?
Why not? You are responsible and in charge of your boundaries while performing. You can coax yourself into it slowly and if you try it and decide you don’t like it, no harm no foul. If you decide you love it, then who knows the new opportunities and levels of confidence you have created for yourself.
23. Anything else you want us to know?
Stay sexy, can’t fail!